Previous Reports
Research Reports

Worldwide High Performance Computing 2013 Total Market Model and 2014–18 Forecast

by Addison Snell, Christopher G. Willard, Ph.D., Laura Segervall, Michael Feldman
for Intersect360 Research
June 2014

This Intersect360 Research report presents the 2013 total market model and five-year forecast for the overall High Performance Computing (HPC) market, including servers, storage, services, software, networks and other products. The forecast horizon is from 2014 through 2018, with compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) using 2013 as a base.

Intersect360 Research divides the HPC market into two super-segments: High Performance Technical Computing (HPTC) and High Performance Business Computing (HPBC).
This report discusses high-level expectations for the total HPC market and for the two super-segments, with details down to the product-class level. In addition, this report provides historical, current, and future forecasted revenues for servers, storage, software, services and networks for both HPTC and HPBC.
Market indicators for 2013 were mixed, even seemingly contradictory in some cases. Supplier performance varied widely; end-user history and expectations varied by economic sector but were generally more bullish than supplier results might suggest; future interest in cloud picked up while current spending remained low; and the ultrascale segment showed further signs of becoming a technology market in and of itself.
That said, we believe the fundamental growth drivers of the HPC market remain strong (see Appendix A). However, we believe that spending in public sectors is currently constrained by a shift towards government austerity strategies for dealing with debt and economic recovery. Thus we expect commercial and industrial spending to become an increasingly important part of the overall HPC market, with HPTC lagging HPBC in growth due to its large public-sector constituency and somewhat greater maturity. We expect commercial and industrial spending on HPC to remain relatively strong, potentially outgrowing overall economic growth.
Some of the key findings of this report include:
  • The total HPC market in 2013 was $30.5 billion, up 2.5% from 2012.
  • Intersect360 Research projects the HPC revenue compound annual growth rate to be 4.6% from 2013 to 2018, reaching $38.1 billion at the end of the forecast period.
  • HPTC contributed 69% of total HPC market revenues in 2013, with HPBC contributing the remaining 31%.
  • Servers will lead the market in terms of absolute revenue growth, adding about $2.4 billion to the market by 2018.
  • The growth rate leader in HPC market is the smallest but most-discussed segment of the market: cloud/utility computing is expected to grow at an 18.6% CAGR to $1.4 billion in 2018.



  • HPC system elements
  • Systems, clusters
  • Server technologies
  • Storage elements
  • Storage systems
  • Interconnect elements
  • System interconnects
  • Software elements
  • Operating systems
  • Services
  • Cloud computing, grid computing, utility computing
  • Other technology trends
  • Big Data trends
  • Government programs or investment in HPC


  • AMD
  • Amazon
  • Cray
  • Dell
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • HP
  • IBM
  • Intel
  • Lenovo
  • SGI
  • Yahoo
Watch the Webinar

For full access to our HPC research studies, analysis, custom research and consulting, contact us directly.

» 888-256-0124
» Subscribe to our mailing list

Sign in to view premium content
Remember me on this computer
Become a client
Get access to our full reports